If you’ve ever asked yourself if you’re too old to have your varicose veins treated, the answer is a resounding no. Because most modern treatments for varicose veins are minimally invasive office-based procedures, individuals of all ages can find a suitable treatment option. Low risk and do not need general anesthesia
Are You Too Old for Varicose Vein Treatment?
You can seek out treatment for varicose veins at any age. Varicose veins can appear in adolescents or older adults, but they are more common with each decade of life that passes.
The older you are, the more critical it becomes to manage your varicose veins. Addressing symptoms will help you maintain healthy legs — otherwise, you may experience symptoms of leg pain, swelling, fatigue and heaviness. Other complications of untreated varicose veins may include superficial thrombophlebitis, which are clots, and in severe cases, varicose vein rupture and leg ulceration.
Depending on your preferences and the severity of your condition, a doctor will help you determine the best treatment option.
At What Age Do Varicose Veins Start?
People can develop varicose veins as early as their 20s or 30s. Approximately 22 million women between the ages of 40 and 80 years and 11 million men in this same age range have varicose veins. It’s important, then, for individuals to know when to treat their varicose veins.
Why Should Seniors Get Varicose Vein Treatment?
There are many reasons why seniors should seek out varicose vein treatment, including:
- Skin infections: Varicose veins cause swelling and increase your chance of getting cellulitis. Treating your varicose veins may reduce your risk of getting an infection and decrease swelling altogether. If you have a painful, swollen or red vein or area of your leg, you should see a doctor immediately to determine the cause.
- Leg ulcers: Treating your varicose veins may help prevent leg ulcers.
- Limited physical activity: Untreated varicose veins and venous insufficiency will make it more difficult to stay active. Leg pain and heaviness can be hard to overcome Speaking to a professional about your symptoms may help you get back to your desired workout routine or favorite activities.
- Swelling: Leg swelling causes an accumulation of fluid in the legs that is unhealthy for the leg tissues. Untreated venous insufficiency creates increased pressure in the legs that causes the swelling and accumulation of toxin contains fluids. If you find it challenging to get out of your house due to leg swelling, talking to your doctor may help you figure out a customized treatment plan to alleviate your symptoms.
- Discomfort: Whether you have pain, heaviness, throbbing or burning in your legs, treatment may be able to help you live more comfortably.
Varicose Vein Treatment Options
If you are wondering when to get your varicose veins treated, the answer is now. Central Florida Vein and Vascular Center can help you treat your varicose veins regardless of your age. We have three offices to serve you better — The Villages, Kissimmee and Ocoee. All of our procedures are minimally invasive, meaning you’ll be able to resume normal activities shortly after receiving treatment in our office.
For patients identified as having a medical condition, improvements in leg vein health are inevitable with treatment, although results are not guaranteed. Contact our team today to book an appointment or to learn more about our vein and vascular services.